Course One: Prayer, Holiness & the New Evangelisation
Dates: This course will begin on Monday 13th September and will go on until Monday 13th of December 2021
(There will be no class on Oct 25t Bank Holiday) It will resume on Mon 10th of Jan and conclude 14th of Feb 2022.
Time: 7.30 – 9.00 PM
Fee: €50 euro.
In par 91 of The Mission of the Redeemer, St John Paul linked contemplation and evangelisation when he wrote, “The missionary must be a “contemplative in action.” He or she finds answers to problems in the light of God’s word and in personal and community prayer . . . the future of mission to a great extent on contemplation. Unless the missionary is a contemplative he cannot proclaim Christ in a credible way. He is a witness to the experience of God.” As the author of a Prayer in Practice: A Biblical Approach (Eugene Or: Whipf & Stock, 2020) and Preparing to Pray; 101 Reflections on Scripture (Dublin: Columba, 2004) Fr. Pat will explore how people can learn to pray in a contemplative way that enables them to be receptive to the different ways in which the Lord can reveal the divine presence, truth and guidance. Topics to be covered are.
- Prayer and religion
- Prayer and the universal calls to holiness & evangelisation
- The prayer of Jesus.
- Prayer as friendship with God
- Prayer as self-disclosure to God
- Prayer as self-forgetful attention to God
- Prayer as attending to the God of the word
- Prayer as attending to the word of God
- Seeking God’s will in prayer
- How guidance comes in prayer
- Charismatic forms of guidance
- Petitionary prayer
- Intercessory prayer
- The prayer of thanksgiving
- The prayer of praise
- Stages in prayer
- Growth in prayer
- Prayer and action
- Unceasing prayer