Course Six: The Gifts of the Spirit and the New Evangelisation
Dates: This course which will be taught by Pat Collins CM will begin on Monday 7th March and will conclude on Monday 23rd of May
(There will be no class on 18th April 18th & May 2nd (Bank Holidays) and will conclude on Monday 25th April 2022.
Time: 7.30-9.00 PM.
Fee: 25 euro
Writing about the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Cor 12:8-10, St Tomas Aquinas said that there are three kinds, gifts of revelation whereby we come to know the truth, gifts of proclamation whereby we preach and teach that truth, and gifts of demonstration whereby we manifest the truth of what we proclaim, e.g., by means of deeds of power. This course will study each group of gifts in detail, their interaction, and the ways in which they can be acquired and exercised in the new evangelisation. The text book for this course is Pat Collins, CM, The Gifts of the Spirit and The New Evangelisation (Dublin: Columba, 2009).
The course which will be taught by Pat Collins will look at the following topics.
- The Gifts of the Spirit in the New Testament
- The gifts of the Spirit and holiness
- St Thomas Aquinas on the evangelistic nature of the gifts
- Gifts of revelation
- Gifts of proclamation
- Gifts of demonstration
- The decline and revival of the gifts of the Spirit
- Baptism in the Spirit and the gifts.
- How to receive the gifts of the Spirit
- The gifts of the Spirit in the new evangelisation